The University of Lincoln recognises that environmental responsibility plays a key part in achieving its strategic aims and objectives.
This policy has been developed to promote environmental awareness and sustainability across the University. It will be promoted amongst staff, students, suppliers and contractors as everyone has a role in delivering environmental sustainability and protection. The University will establish a culture where environmental performance is continually improved. This will be achieved through regular reviews and the setting of challenging objectives and targets.
Staff, students and contractors will be expected to comply with all appropriate environmental legislation, to assist with minimising their environmental impact and to ensure protection of the environment.
Students will be offered opportunities to volunteer and enhance their skills with sustainability projects focussed on environmental improvements.
Environmental Management System
The University will introduce and maintain an Environment Management System (EMS) that covers all of its sites and activities and manages environmental risks in a structured way.
The aim will be that the EMS will be accredited to the ISO 14001 standard.
The University will aim to improve its environmental performance through the following areas:
- Legal & Regulatory Compliance: Comply with all relevant environmental legislation and appropriate codes of compliance. A register of relevant legislation will be developed, maintained, regularly reviewed and made available within the University
- Environmental Protection and Prevention of Pollution: The environmental aspects and impacts of the University will be reviewed annually, recorded and managed to ensure that any risks are minimised and the environment is protected. Emissions and discharges to air, land and water will be controlled and minimised in order to prevent pollution.
- Energy and Carbon: Continually assess and seek to reduce pollution from energy use. Energy use will be monitored and challenging targets for reducing consumption will be set. Emissions of carbon dioxide due to energy usage will be measured and recorded. A Carbon Management Plan, containing carbon reduction targets, will be produced and regularly updated.
- Waste Management: Minimise waste through the judicious use of products and materials. The University will look to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill and to identify recycling opportunities. Correct storage, collection and disposal of waste will be ensured. A waste awareness programme will be initiated with an aim of encouraging recycling and minimising contamination in the recyclable waste stream.
- Sustainable Procurement: Where appropriate, the environmental impacts of goods and services will be taken into account in major purchasing decisions. Suppliers bidding for major contracts will be asked to demonstrate that they have established environmental standards. The carbon impact of purchasing decisions will be measured and reported on annually.
- Water Management: Water consumption across the estate will be monitored, measured and reported on. Targets to reduce water consumption will be set and actions to reduce usage will be implemented. The University has several water courses in the immediate vicinity of its estate and will take appropriate action to prevent contamination of water courses and groundwater.
- Biodiversity: Surveys will be undertaken to assess the ecological value of the estate. Habitat enhancement projects will be undertaken to improve the ecological value of the estate. The University will ensure that important habitat areas within its land holdings are protected.
- Sustainable Transport: Students, staff and visitors will be encouraged to use alternatives to single occupancy cars to travel to the University. The Sustainable Travel Plan will be regularly updated and an action plan of sustainable transport initiatives will be developed and implemented. The University will work with local partners to promote and support sustainable transport options in Lincoln and the surrounding area. The carbon emissions resulting from staff and student travel will be measured and reported on annually.
Environmental Targets and Reporting
The University will set challenging objectives and targets, with an aim to continually improve the overall environmental performance of the organisation.
Environmental performance against the objectives and targets will be reported on in the Annual Environmental Report.
This policy will be made publicly available and will be communicated to staff and students. In addition, individuals and businesses working for and on behalf of the University will be made aware of the policy.
This policy will be reviewed at least annually and will be updated where appropriate.
|Approval Date: 9th January 2017|
|Signed: Prof. Mary Stuart, Vice Chancellor of the University of Lincoln.|