We’ve got many exciting events happening this year – if you’d like to be involved in any of these, or have any questions or ideas, please contact the team using the details to the right of this page.
You can also join the E.C.O. Society through the Student Union.
We’ve had some wonderful volunteers over the years and a couple of them have kindly written a blog about their experiences:
- Aigerim Kuanysh – Fairtrade Officer and Environmental Volunteer
- Holly McGratten – My year on the Environmental Sustainability Committee
Environmental Communications Volunteer
Would you like to be part of the Environment Communications team?
From September, you can apply for a volunteer position through the Student Union website.
We’re looking for students with different talents, interests and abilities to help us with our communications strategy. This will involve:
- Design posters, social media images and info-graphics
- Photography/videography – document environmental activities throughout the year
- Support events on campus
- Assist with sharing information around campus regarding events and initiatives the University is hosting this could be through posters or via social media channels
- Write blogs/star in videos regarding environmental issues on campus
- Assist with ideas and support activities for environment campaigns and events
Support and supervision:
The volunteer will be supported and supervised primarily by Tracey Turton, Energy & Environment Officer, with additional support from Rebecca Forster the Environment Manager.
Personal qualities & requirements:
An interest in design, writing and environmental issues. A desire to help the University meet its environmental aspirations.
Skills you, as a volunteer, will learn or develop:
Engagement skills – with both staff and students
Effectively communicate environmental messages
*We’re happy for the volunteer to work around their studies and external commitments.
Go Green Week
Go Green Week is held each autumn – activities generally include volunteering in the herb garden, competitions, workshops on reducing your carbon footprint, information on sustainable transport in the city, guest lectures, films and freebies!
We always welcome volunteers to help us deliver our programme of events. Contact us on email@example.com if you are interested in being part of Go Green Week.
We have a fantastic collection of films that can be made available to staff and students. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information of the films on offer.
The Great Holiday Switch Off
Over Christmas the University closes down for almost two weeks. During this period we ask that all staff and students take time to help reduce our energy consumption, thus lowering our carbon footprint.
You can help by:
- Turning off at the wall –
- Other electrical items
- Closing all windows
- Closing curtains
- Ensuring all lights are switched off
- Turning down radiators – do not switch off completely in case it’s a very cold period
- Defrosting the fridge and switching off at the mains socket
Did you know?
Volunteer days with the Student Union
Throughout the year, The Student Union organise many volunteer action days which help with the local environment and community.
Visit their website to learn about current activities.