Access and Services Update – The University Estate

Whilst the University and its Halls of Residence remain open, the way in which staff and students access the Estate and its services during this time has changed.

This page is intended as guidance for accessing the Estate during this time.

Further information and support for staff is available through the HR website: Covid-19 guidance for staff

I need a new parking permit, can I still collect one?

The Estates Department is suspending issuing new parking permits for either staff or students during the current campus restrictions. Staff who are classed as Essential Workers and who need to park on campus (but who do not have a new parking pass due to the suspension), must contact Security and the Support Desk to inform them.

What services are still available for students on campus?

The University remains open for those students who live here and will continue to provide critical services for students in line with the latest Government advice. Many buildings are now closed and access to those that remain open is heavily restricted. Many support services, including the Library, ICT and the Students’ Union, have moved from face-to-face provision to online provision. The Student Support Centre and Student Wellbeing Centre are still offering a full service to students which is accessible online or over the phone. These services can be accessed through the contact details on the Student Services website.

The University GP surgery remains open but we recommend that students ring them before any visits. If students have any academic concerns or questions they should contact their personal tutor or School.

Student access to the Estate

For the safety of our university community, access to the university estate is strictly managed at this time. A number of staff are still on campus providing essential services and we would encourage all students to work from home as previously advised. However, there are three main instances in which a student can request access:

  • A research student who has Pro Vice Chancellor permission to access Specialist College spaces. Authorised by Estates.
  • Students seeking a wellbeing consultation in the Wellbeing building or Minerva.  Authorised by the Student Wellbeing Team.
  • Students that need ad-hoc ICT support such as visiting the ICT helpdesk in Minerva (e.g. getting a laptop issue fixed in person). Authorised by ICT.

Students must not enter academic buildings at this time unless they have received confirmation from the Estates Support Desk that their request for access has been approved.


Access requests must be forwarded to the Estates Support Desk so that the appropriate card access can be applied.


Student Support are happy to have conversations with any students who have limited internet access to see if it is essential for them to come on campus, or if an alternative can be provided. Please email for more information.

What should University staff do if you need regular access to a building on campus?

In an attempt to restrict the spread of coronavirus and help keep everyone safe, the majority of academic and support buildings across our campuses are now closed.  If you need regular to access a building, please contact your Pro Vice Chancellor or Head of Area to gain authorisation.  HR will then issue you with an ‘Essential Worker Status’ letter which you must carry with you during your visits.  HR will also notify Estates so we can send you the appropriate access procedure and give you permission to enter your chosen building. 

Can I still collect an item from my office/building?

All staff across the University that require ad-hoc access to building must seek permission from their Head of Service or PVC. Requests for access will be rejected without email correspondence confirming it is authorised at this senior level. It is noted that only access to undertake essential work will be authorised. The authorised ad-hoc access request must then be submitted to the Estates Support Desk (during office hours), or out of hours to Security or 01522 886062. This must be requested at least one full working day in advance.

Please see the Ad-Hoc Campus Access Procedure for full guidance.


Have capital projects been paused?

All University capital projects continue to develop. Our Projects team are working remotely with contractors still on site.

How do I contact the Support Desk?

Estates Support Desk staff are currently working from home. Please email in a new tab) with any queries or log a job via Support Desk tab above.  For any urgent job requests please contact Security on 01522 886062.  Thank you for your patience and cooperation.