Permits to work

Permits to work are only required for hazardous activities, these are issued in accordance with our Operational Maintenance Procedure E&CF23.

Working adjacent to asbestos, on fire alarm systems, in confined spaces, on LEV and fume cabinets, hot works, high voltage electricity access, excavations, at height are all controlled under a works permit.

Responsibility for Contractors sites is handed over the relevant contractor.


Permits to access –  All contractors working on University properties must register at the Estates Support Desk and collect an access permit prior to works commencing on any University property.


Permits to work can be applied for online, prior to the commencement of a project. Visit the Estates Support Desk page to register.